If you have employees, make sure you are using their skills to the fullest. Many employees can learn additional tasks/roles within the company. Not only are they ABLE to learn, but they WANT to learn. Teach them. Take an hour of your time and train one of your employees to do a new task or role in the company.
There are many benefits gained when you take a little time to teach your employees something new.
- Increase their motivation and job satisfaction – When you invest your time in your employee development, you are showing your staff that you believe in them.
- Improve efficiency – Training often leads to more efficient systems – which, in turn, commonly leads to higher profits.
- Increase employee retention – We’ve all had boring jobs, right? Dead end jobs make your employees look outside the company for career growth. Encourage them to stay by investing in their future with the company.
- Decrease supervision – Employees who are well-trained commonly need less supervision because they know how to do their jobs well.
- Cover absences – Cross training your employees to do other roles within the company allows you to cover absences when your employees are out sick or on vacation. When you train your employees to cover each other, you don’t need to cover these gaps yourself.
As a small business owner, you wear a lot of hats. Help yourself AND your employees by taking a little time to teach them a new function. Perhaps it’s entering invoices, shipping products, completing a report, managing your social media accounts, or ordering inventory/supplies. The possibilities are endless.
Taking a little time to invest in training will create a huge return for both your employee and your company.
4 Oranges is committed to bringing you weekly tips in the form of To-Do List items that you can complete in an hour or less. These tips were generated from reviewing best practices from the hundreds of businesses I’ve worked with over the past 15 years. I expect you’re already doing some (but not all) of them. Improve your business by making quick fixes that have long-lasting results.
© 2019 4 Oranges